Contact: Natalie Fleenor
email@example.com (901) 272-5113
Feb. 22, 2017
Only accredited art camp in the region offers 12 new classes including Design Thinking, Digital Painting, Animation, Kinetic Sculpture and Fashion Design
WHAT: Registration for MCA’s Summer Art Camp is now open for children ages 3-18 and features a special 10% discount for children registered by March 31.
- The camp, organized by the college’s Community Education department, is one of the many community programs offered by MCA each year.
- Summer Art Camp offers both full- and half-day options during regular camp hours (9 a.m.–3 p.m.), in addition to extended care in the mornings and afternoons (8–9 a.m. and 3–5 p.m.). Six weeklong sessions this summer include June 5-9, June 12-16, June 19-23, June 26-30, July 10-14 and July 17-21.
- This year features 12 new classes, including courses in Design Thinking, Digital Painting, Animation, Kinetic Sculpture and Fashion Design in addition to the existing classes focused around drawing and painting, clay sculpture, photography and international art.
- A special Camp Preview Day is scheduled for April 1, and is free and open to families wanting a sneak peek of activities planned for this year.
- Scholarships are available through a special application process (deadline to apply is May 4).
- More information about Summer Art Camp is here.
WHEN: Registration currently open; Camp Preview Day: April 1, 2–4 p.m.
- Registration will be open for each session until the week prior of each respective weeklong session.
- NOTE: Early Bird Registration is currently available now through March 31, 2017 (10% discount)
WHERE: Camp: Memphis College of Art, Rust Hall
1930 Poplar Ave., Overton Park
Memphis, TN 38104
- Register online or in person at Memphis College of Art’s Gibson Hall, 1939 Poplar Ave.
WHY: MCA’s Summer Art Camp gives young student and artists an opportunity to learn visual art skills, explore their creativity, discover new media, create original works of art in a community of artists, and gain confidence in expressing themselves, all while making new friends in a fun and safe environment. All instructors are trained artists who love teaching and sharing the joy of art-making with others. Summer Art Camp instructors at a minimum have earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, and most classes also have a dedicated teaching assistant, making the child-to-adult ratio no greater than 8-to-1. All Summer Art Camp administrators, instructors and staff are carefully screened and subjected to a nationwide background check. Earlier this year, MCA announced that Summer Art Camp had achieved accreditation status from the American Camp Association, making it the only accredited art camp in the region and meeting the highest industry standards.
For more information about MCA’s Summer Art Camp and other Community Education programming, visit mca.edu. For media inquiries, contact Communications Coordinator Natalie Fleenor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (901) 272-5113.
Photo: Camper from Summer Art Camp 2015 poses with his mask.
Memphis College of Art provides a rigorous curriculum in an intimate, diverse community to empower generations of leading artists, designers and educators to flourish professionally and contribute valuable ideas to society. MCA is fully accredited with expert, nationally renowned faculty and grants BFA, MFA, MA in Art Education and MA in Teaching degrees with graduates excelling in various careers across the country and internationally. For more information, visit mca.edu. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/memphiscollegeofart and on Twitter at @memphisart.