Memphis College of Art Hosts National Portfolio Day on Oct. 14
WHAT: National Portfolio Day (NPD) at Memphis College of Art (MCA). The event is free and open to any prospective art student of high school or college level.
- 19 colleges and universities will be represented at this year’s National Portfolio Day in Memphis, and prospective art students from the Mid-south region will gather to meet with officials from art colleges around the United States and Canada.
- National Portfolio Day brings together students and experienced college representatives who review artwork, offer critique, discuss college plans and share information about their schools. There are 38 National Portfolio Day events in the U.S. and Canada.
- The events provide a taste of what it would be like to attend a professional art college.
- More information about the NPDA national schedule is available at portfolioday.net.
WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 14 from 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- 10 a.m.–Noon Welcome and Tours
- Noon–4 p.m.: Portfolio Reviews
- 10 a.m.–2 p.m.: Food Trucks
WHERE: Rust Hall, 1930 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104, Overton Park
WHY: The National Portfolio Day Association (NPDA) was created in 1978 and consists of representatives from regionally accredited colleges and universities that are members of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). NASAD represents the highest standard of visual arts education available in the United States and Canada.
Memphis’ National Portfolio Day is one of two NPD events that MCA hosts each year. MCA will host a second NPD event in New Orleans on Jan. 13, 2018. More information about this event is forthcoming. MCA will also be hosting an independent Portfolio Day in conjunction with the Knoxville Museum of Art in Knoxville, TN on November 11, 2017.
Colleges participating in the Memphis NPD include Alfred University, School of Art and Design, Art Academy of Cincinnati, California College of the Arts, College for Creative Studies, The Cooper Union School of Art, FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, George Mason University School of Art, Laguna College of Art + Design, Maryland Institute College of Art, Memphis College of Art, Montserrat College of Art, Pacific Northwest College of Art, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Rhode Island School of Design, Ringling College of Art and Design, Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Watkins College of Art, Design & Film.