Contact: Natalie Fleenor
firstname.lastname@example.org (901) 272-5113
Nov. 1, 2016
Memphis College of Art to Host Election Week Photobooth
Come celebrate the right to vote—take a selfie at MCA’s giant flag photobooth with custom, handmade props
WHAT: Election Week Photobooth at Memphis College of Art (MCA). Free and open to the public.
- Students at MCA created props celebrating the freedom to vote in the political process. Props include cutouts of the Statue of Liberty, an I Voted sticker, Hillary Clinton power suit, Donald Trump hair, Abraham Lincoln top hat and beard, Republican elephant and Democrat donkey, and George Washington wig, among many others.
- Students involved in the project are part of MCA’s Give Back community service program, which provides opportunities for special merit scholarship recipients to engage in community service projects throughout the year.
- Former MCA board member Penn Owen is lending his large American flag, measuring 20’ x 30’, to hang on the front of Rust Hall, with props available near the main entrance of the building.
- The public is invited to visit during voting week and take “selfies” in front of the flag, posing with their choice of handmade props.
WHEN: November 3–9, 2016
- Props available to the public from 8:30 a.m.–9 p.m.
WHERE: Rust Hall, 1930 Poplar Ave., Overton Park, Memphis, TN 38104
WHY: MCA has encouraged its students to practice their civic liberties by voting in this year’s presidential election. Internally, staff at the college have educated students about the voting process and helped them register to vote, either for in-person voting or by absentee ballot, as many MCA students do not live near their voting district. Hosting the photobooth for the college and the public is a way to celebrate the democratic process with the community.
Members of the public are especially encouraged and invited to take their photo after they vote with the various props awaiting them outside the college, post the images on social media channels with the hashtags #Election2016 and #artofthevote, and tag Memphis College of Art (Instagram: @memphiscollegeofart, Twitter: @memphisart, Facebook: www.facebook.com/memphiscollegeofart).
For additional information contact Natalie Fleenor, Communications Coordinator at email@example.com or (901) 272-5113.
Photo: (from left to right) Katherine Lawson, Laura Lester, Kristen Rambo and Jessica Forrester
Memphis College of Art provides a rigorous curriculum in an intimate, diverse community to empower generations of leading artists, designers and educators to flourish professionally and contribute valuable ideas to society. MCA is fully accredited with expert, nationally renowned faculty and grants BFA, MFA, MA in Art Education and MA in Teaching degrees with graduates excelling in various careers across the country and internationally. For more information, visit mca.edu. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/memphiscollegeofart and on Twitter at @memphisart.