Admission to the MFA program at the Memphis College of Art is contingent on the completion of a BA or BFA or an approved equivalent. As diversity adds strength to the program, applicants with degrees in areas of study other than the visual arts are encouraged to apply, however they may be required to take additional undergraduate coursework to reinforce critical skills and/ or experiences.
Applications must be submitted by February 1 for fall (August) admission and November 1 for spring (January) admission.
• Completed Graduate Application Form (click here to apply online)
• Two letters of recommendation (at least one should be from an academic advisor or instructor)
• Statement of purpose (250 word minimum)
• Portfolio (see details below)
• Artist’s Statement
• Official copies of all transcripts
• Resume or CV
• $50 application fee
The portfolio is an important criterion for acceptance into the MFA program. It should represent the most sophisticated and accomplished work from the applicant. Consider bodies of work that involve a similar theme or content, as this will demonstrate the abilities of the applicant to work with and develop complex content.
• 20 images
• Time based works should be limited to 5 min, and must be in NTSC format.
• An image list that includes the title of the work, the date, medium, and scale. Collaborative and group efforts should have the applicant’s role clearly stated.
• Images may be in slide form, CD-Rom, (jpeg images should be 2mb or less), or DVD.
• Powerpoint and PDF files are acceptable.
• Do not send .exe files, as they will not be considered.
• Do not send original materials.