Position Opening for:
Campus Safety Officer
Under the general supervision of the VP for Operations, the Campus Safety Officer is a member of a team of campus safety specialists responsible for providing personal safety for members of the college community through proactive, courteous, and professional actions. This position provides a highly visual deterrent to campus crime through a variety of means including vehicle and foot patrols while protecting the property and assets of the college. This position could be assigned to work one of each of the three shifts (day shift, evening shift, or overnight shift) or overlap two shifts. Weekends and special details may be required.
- Provides security for persons, buildings, and assets of the college through a variety of security techniques and methods.
- Responds to requests for assistance and information in a helpful and courteous manner.
- Patrols the grounds and facilities of the college in a manner consistent with Departmental SOP and College Policy.
- Enforce appropriate college regulations and policies including, but not limited to parking and traffic regulations.
- Routine involvement in directing vehicular or pedestrian traffic in a variety of situations.
- Assists other designated CSO’s in their campus law enforcement duties.
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
- Prior security experience preferred.
- Computer literacy a must.
- The ability to demonstrate good judgment in enforcing college regulations and security policies and practices, while maintaining confidentiality in all campus safety matters.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing – through security reports, complaint and witness statements, and in assisting and providing general information to the college community and visitors.
- High degree of tact and diplomacy dealing with the college community under a variety of difficult situations. This position requires the incumbent to provide helpful general information to the community and in other situations when “instructions” may have to be given to violators of college regulations.
- Sensitivity toward the cultural diversity of the campus community.
- 24/7 “on-call” availability for emergencies.
- Ability and willingness to work a full 40-hour schedule with availability for overtime.
- Physically fit to withstand the challenges of extensive walking and climbing, descending numerous interior and external stairs and campus grounds including multi-level building facilities and all adjoining park and college-owned land, and have the ability to lift and move objects up 50 lbs.
- Officers must be able to operate a college motor vehicles and be capable of responding to emergency situations including providing basic first-aid/CPR.
Apply in person at Memphis College of Art, 1930 Poplar Avenue, or send resume and references with a subject of Campus Safety Officer Search to Major Spencer Johnson at email@example.com.
Memphis College of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, religion, age, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or other status protected by law.
MCA’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing information regarding campus safety, is available for view on our website at http://mca.edu/about/contact-us/.
Memphis College of Art, an independent professional art college, is accredited by both the National Association of Schools of Art & Design and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The school is located within a picturesque 342 acre wooded park in Midtown Memphis and is adjacent to the Brooks Museum of Art and the Memphis Zoo.
MCA offers BFA degree programs in Digital Media, Drawing, Graphic Design, Illustration, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, and Sculpture. Graduate studies include an MFA program in traditional studio practice or an individually tailored interdisciplinary emphasis and education program leading to either an MAT or MAArtEd.
New faculty will join a distinguished body of artists, designers, scholars, and educators who are committed to mentoring the next generation of artists who will be shaping the course of artmaking in the 21st century.