MCA has a vibrant, urban location in and around Overton Park in midtown Memphis. Several of our buildings are across Poplar Ave. and require the use of crosswalks to travel between those buildings and our Rust Hall in the park.
Exercise extreme caution when crossing any street with vehicular traffic. Always use the designated crosswalks at the intersections and wait for the proper signal before crossing. The intersection of Poplar Avenue and Tucker Street is particularly treacherous. Please read and observe the following safety tips when crossing any street on or off of campus:
- Use crosswalks when crossing the street. If a crosswalk is unavailable, be sure to find the most well-lit spot on the road to cross and wait for a long enough gap in traffic to make it safely across the street.
- If control signals are present, pedestrians must wait until the signal gives the “walk” signal before proceeding onto the crosswalk.
- Make sure you’re visible to drivers at all times and make eye contact with them whenever possible. This is especially important at night, in low-light conditions such as dusk or dawn, or in inclement weather.
- Stay on sidewalks whenever possible. If a sidewalk is not available, be sure to walk on the far side of the road facing traffic. This will help increase your visibility to drivers.
- Put down your phone. Remember that, as a pedestrian, your eyes and ears are your best tools for keeping safe. Stay alert and watch out.
- Know and follow all traffic rules, signs and signals.
- Never assume a driver will give you the right of way.
- Wear lightly colored or reflective clothing at night and brightly colored clothing during the day.
- Stay in well-lit areas, especially when crossing the street.